An infestation can happen at any time to any building or home, and it is essential to get it under control right away. Some pests can cause structural damage to your property, others are hazardous to health, and all need to be dealt with immediately wherever possible.
Whether you use a professional pest control company or try to get rid of your unwanted guests yourself, there are many different methods you can try and chemicals to use. Here are a few of the top ways to help you get your pest control in hand before they get too out of control.
What do commercial pest control companies use?
There are several key methods for dealing with pests, which can vary greatly depending on the type of animal or insect, how they are getting in, and your own personal preference among others. Some of the main options are:
- Traps – baited to lure in certain pests, these can be effective with certain creatures, though less so with others like termites and small insects.
- Pesticides – some of the most impactful ways to cleanse a property, there is a wide variety that you can find to use that kill or repel your pests. Arguably the most important of these are insecticides, though there are specific chemicals targeting rodents and other pests as well.
- Baits – laying down poisoned bait is another popular method for many, though it can be risky with other animals in the house, and comes with other downsides.
- Biological controls – some companies use living organisms like predators or even diseases to get rid of pests, though this should only be done by professionals (outside of buying a cat to keep down rodents).
A commercial pest control expert will come to your home or building and assess the kinds of pests that you have and the best way or ways to stop them. One key strategy is fumigation, where they will tent your property and use gas or vapour to eradicate any pests in one go.
Another is to spray pesticides around key areas, sometimes several different types to suit different pests, to ensure that all are taken care of. Physical controls like barriers or traps can be used independently of, or in conjunction with, these chemicals to give an all-around approach to pest control.
Boric acid, Fipronil and Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids are all popular chemicals used by pest control companies to rid your home or business of ants, termites, cockroaches and so many others. Be mindful of their dangers, however. Boric acid is very toxic, while Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids are less harmful to people but deadly to aquatic life.
All in all, a professional company will use all the means at their disposal to rid your property of pests, which can mean using a variety of methods or simply spraying the correct kind of pesticide everywhere.
Is professional bug spray better than store-bought?
When it comes to deciding which bug spray to use, you have to consider both its efficacy, and whether it will damage more than the pests you want to get rid of. Some household sprays may be kinder to the environment, but not actually that effective at pest control.
Professional bug spray is tried and tested and used specifically by experts to get the job done. Within the products available in this area, you can choose a company that uses environmentally safe sprays, and ones that are less toxic to other species if you wish.
That being said, most professional sprays are going to be more potent and that is a good thing when you are trying to overcome an infestation. Compared to your store-bought spray, they will last longer, work faster, and will work far better. Choosing to turn to the experts for your pest control can save you a lot of time and effort, and may even be cheaper than trying to do it yourself.
Buying your own sprays may seem the cheaper option, and of course, you can get bug spray at little cost, but if they don’t work as well you may have to keep buying more, deal with pests coming back again and again, and may even have to shell out for a professional company in the long run anyway.
Professional bug spray is arguably always going to be the better choice in the long run, though a small pest problem may be sorted out by store-bought spray in the short term.
Is it better to hire pest control or do it yourself?
Depending on if you have one mouse living in your house that you need to get rid of, versus a full-blown infestation, you may feel that you can take care of the issue yourself. A few traps around, a little bait here and there, and you might well solve your problem.
For the bigger influx of pests, getting the professionals in is almost always essential. Pest control isn’t just about getting them out once they are in, but about preventing them from coming in the first place.
Expert pest control companies will protect your house using all the methods they have and in such a way that you should not continue to have issues in the future. There is also the fact that using chemicals can be dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing. Having experienced pest control companies spraying your home is one thing, but doing it yourself can have serious repercussions.
The longer that an infestation is left to grow and run amok, the worse it gets. Damage to your property, health issues, and even the mental drain of hearing scrabbling and scratching keeping you up at night are all serious consequences of an untreated problem.
Getting professionals in to take charge will lead to the quickest and most effective resolution to all your pest-related issues, and leave your home or business free from unwanted intruders in no time.
To Sum Up:
- Professional companies use a variety of means to get rid of pests, including spraying, fumigating and physical controls.
- Some of the chemicals they use can be harmful and should only be used by experts.
- Some household bug sprays can be effective, and are certainly cheaper, but won’t be as impactful as those used by professionals.
- You may be able to take care of a small problem yourself, but it can soon become a much bigger issue and professionals can do a better job of getting rid of your pests.
If you are looking for a quick and effective solution to all your pest control needs, including prevention as well as eradication, then using an experienced pest control company is the best decision. Instead of allowing the problem to grow, make the right call and check out your pest control options today.