Harry Potter has long been a global phenomenon and has inspired young and old people alike to cherish their imagination and look for a little magic in life. While it certainly isn’t for everyone (muggles), for the fans, it’s a timeless classic and a wonderful series of books and movies that we will continue to consume long into the future.
But, how has it influenced our lives? What lessons did we learn from the Harry Potter franchise? And why is it that we all draw so much inspiration from it?
In this article, we’re going to explore the magic of Harry Potter in greater depth, including some insight into how you can be more like Harry Potter and emulate his magnificence!
How Harry Potter influenced my life?
Harry Potter has influenced many lives in a great number of different ways. For me in particular, it’s given me something to cherish in my darkest days.
Life can be stressful. Life can be exhausting at times and when all hope seems lost and you feel like giving up, Harry Potter is always there to give you that little pick me up.
Harry Potter is my go-to series of movies whenever I’m feeling especially poorly, anxious, or bogged down by life.
I can just wrap up under the duvet, kick off my binge-watching session from the Philosopher’s Stone, and then lose myself in the whimsical and magical world of wizarding.
I don’t have to think about work or bills or any of my other responsibilities when I’m in Hogwarts. Instead, I can relax and feel the warmth of Hagrid’s dulcet tones, get tipsy on some Butterbeer from the Hog’s Head, and imagine myself grasping the Golden Snitch and bringing home the Quidditch Cup!
What does Harry Potter teach us?
Many, different lessons can be learned from the Harry Potter franchise. Again, the series has influenced many people from all over the world in a plethora of ways, but here are some of the most prominent lessons:
- It’s important to talk about the big issues in life: Voldemort is almost always referred to as “he who shall not be named” in the series and it’s an apt metaphor for how we muggles are always petrified about speaking up about the big issues in life – particularly when it comes to our struggles and feelings. No matter what you are dealing with, Harry Potter teaches us that the bravest thing you can do is let your voice be heard and talk about your feelings!
- Friendship is golden: Harry Potter is very much centred around our favourite trio and their escapades: Hermione, Ron, and Harry. Without each other, they’d have failed right from the very beginning. It teaches us that true friendship is rare and worth nurturing.
- Believe in yourself: while you might not be able to pick locks with the flick of a wand or turn the schoolyard bully into a sheep, there’s not much in life that you can’t achieve if you set your mind to it. It sounds very cheesy and overly sentimental, but it’s true all the same. Take Ron and his exceptional Quiddich performance when he thought he was under the influence of liquid luck; turns out he was simply relying on the power of positivity.
- People = power: Hogwarts would very much have fallen into darkness if it wasn’t for Dumbledore’s army! This demonstrates the power of community and just how powerful we can be when we unite under a common cause.
- Never give up: life will throw a lot of curve balls at you but you should never give up. Every upset is a lesson and through every lesson, you will grow stronger, wiser, and all the abler to take life’s nonsense on the chin.
- Look fear in the face: no matter what you think you are most afraid of; you can overcome it if you face it head-on. It may well be the hardest thing you ever do, but once you fight your way through it, those gargantuan fears will all of a sudden seem tiny in your rearview.
Why Harry Potter is inspiring?
Harry Potter is truly inspiring because he endured great difficulties and pain – and never felt compelled to take his anger out on anyone else.
Despite the cruel upbringing his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon subjected Harry to, he never turned nasty. Many people, when having gone through great pain in life, feel the desire to take their pain out on others. Harry rose above any notion of sadism and chose the path of decency instead.
It takes strength to be decent when all you’ve ever known is cruelty. Harry’s inherent moral fibre serves as a reminder to us all that we should always try to be good to the people that we meet – because you never know what they’ve been/are going through.
How can I be like Harry Potter?
If you wish to be more like Harry Potter, there are many things you can do:
- Be kind: like Harry, you should always treat those that you meet with respect.
- Stand up for what’s right: don’t ever let someone suffer in silence. Stand up and do the right thing – even if it’s scary.
- Never stop using your imagination: it doesn’t matter how old you get, never stop using your imagination. Nurture your creativity and take every opportunity you can to be silly and enjoy yourself!
- Dress the part: designer Harry Potter bags are perfect for keeping your most cherished belongings safe while showing your love for the most amazing and magical franchise in the world! If you want to be more like Harry, you’ve got to represent your favourite house in style!
- Be curious: the world is filled with many fascinating things and you should want to learn about them, taste them, and try them all!
Bend the rules: so long as you don’t hurt anyone or do anything dangerous, it’s OK to bend the rules from time to time – particularly when you’re doing so for the right reasons! As Harry Potter once said: “I solemnly swear I am up to no good!”